Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 5579

On Sat, December 4, 2010 04:06, Dan Mitchell wrote:

> Anti-virus
>
>> Dear list members ... I don't know what to do about this. If in fact
>> John's address has been stolen or something ...
>>
>> advice??    Andy for PF HQ
>

> In the end I'd have to say that Apple Macs are a lot less vulnerable to
> outside interference.  I have been using one for several years now, with
> only a simple free anti-virus program; most users say even that is not
> needed.

I've been running various Windows systems full-time connected to the
Internet since 1996, and so far my anti-virus program hasn't found
anything to stop.  I run it as an act of superstition, basically, at this
point.  (I'm behind NAT, so nothing outside can initiate a connection to
me.)  I believe most people's problems come from running Internet Explorer
or (especially) Outlook Express, neither of which I allow on my network.

And I still remember the days when the MAC labs were the place that was
totally overrun with viruses (quite a while ago; Apple had the brain-storm
of having the Mac auto-execute code on any floppy inserted, so they were
basically ALL infected in that kind of public situation).

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info