Re: [spam]

I gotta say as far as operating systems go, I don't care a fig for Windows, however I'm intimately familiar with it, can make it jump through hoops for me, and it runs a whole raft of software that isn't available for other oprating systems. So many of these too are free, quick and do a fantastic job - often better than the Big Names...

I've used a number of other operating systems over the years in an attempt to free myself of Windows, but without the applications I need, they've been a waste of time as ultimately, it's those programs and applications that are why I am using a computer at all.

For a virus free windows experience I learned early on that viruses come these days either through email, the web or through user ignorance - and knowing windows and viruses enough, security folk have learned that using a Windows independant browser and mailer, 99% of the harmful code can't get a foothold. So I use Opera and Pocomail for most of my internet interactions - problem solved, no bugs .

Can't get around user ignorance though - if people download and run stuff, whether it be unpaid-for software with malware embedded, or whether they run programs without doing simple google searches like "Program Name +alert +malware" then they're still in the learning stages and bound to be hit. These computers are incredibly complex (never mind computer programs!) - in days gone by, carburettors, TV's and automatic transmissions were considered too complex for the average person - computers are worlds more complex!

And sadly, when brand name companies like Sony cam't be trusted and go about illegally install viruses by stealth on peoples PCs, that makes things harder ..