Re: Peripheral hardware question

On Tue, October 26, 2010 08:26, YGelmanPhoto wrote:
> Thanks, Karl, for this terrific overview.  Two questions:
>
> 1. You mention Synchback from 2brightsparks as a good backup system.
> I looked at the site and was impressed, but I couldn't find any
> mention of a Mac capability.  Could you recommend a good backup
> provider for Macs?
>
> 2. People use a lot of jargon.  Is there something like a glossary?
> Or, better, a Backups for Dummies?  In particular, what is RAID?

It's a term from the disk storage sub-system part of the field.  Currently
it officially stands for "Redundant Array of Independent Disks" (though I
remember it as being "Inexpensive" originally).

It's a blanket term for a set of standards for running multiple drives
together to provide some combination of more speed and more reliability.
Depending on which version you use.  It includes striping, mirroring, and
parity schemes, plus some combined modes.

There's a big article on Wikipedia, probably containing far more detail
than you need.

(It's also used, informally, for similar storage schemes that aren't
actually the ones specified in the real RAID standards.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info