PF members exhibit on 09-04-10 Review

Some thoughts on this week's terrific gallery entries.

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP 04, 2010. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

            Andrew Sharpe - Window with reflections

A continuation on the concept of abstraction. I really like the recurring theme of curves here. This is quite effective in B&W and would have been less so in color.

            Emily L. Ferguson - 2 big catboats and one tiny one

A terrific repetition of the shapes of these boats. You captured this, I'm sure very brief, alignment very well, Emily. I would have liked the one sail to have not been cut off but that probably could have not been avoided.

            Mark Harris - Metropolitan Museum Artist Observed

Thanks to those who already commented and to those who, I hope will. I always learn from all of you.

            John Palcewski - Tsunami of Regret

We don't know what the regret is but it is certainly profound. It is an interesting juxtoposition that the milk ad (?) is right next to the subject.

            Christopher Strevens - Old lady Crying

As we approach the anniversary of that sad day we all know of people whose plans were altered. All of us with Mothers at, or near, old age have seen or felt this emotion. Well captured Chris!

            Marilyn Dalrymple -

A terrific capture! It is fun to see things at these reenactments that are so out of place. I wonder if he was communicating to a fellow "soldier"?

            Sherie Taylor - Finish Line

The driver has a great expression of relief from finishing I would guess. I like the cropping of the other's heads as a way to draw attention to his. I feel there is too much empty space on the left.

            Yoram Gelman - Water / Reeds

Very calm and peaceful with a lovely simplicity. The split, slightly lower then center, works here. To me, it almost looks like sound waves on an oscilloscope trailing off to silence.

            Dan Mitchell - Frog

Capturing small wildlife like this frog is difficult. That you did it at all is very good. The highlights are a little hot but you can't have everything.

            Trevor Cunningham - frangipani semi-silhouette

I don't know if you intended it to be soft but it looks that way to me. I do like the lighting and composition. The edge reminds me a bit of the curves of a body.

Mark Harris
gsphotoguy@xxxxxxx
http://gsphotoguy.photography.com/