Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 5506 - Monkey Orchid

>>              Dan Mitchell - Monkey orchid
>
> A nice photograph of a pretty flower. If that's what you were going for, you did it well.

It is indeed a pretty flower. However it is also a wild orchid (Orchis simia) and in England is incredibly rare - down to about three sites in the whole of England.  It is part of my U.K. wild orchid series, most very rare, which can be seen at —

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danmdan/sets/72157624652147959/

— the collection being the results of a project to photograph every species of wild orchid which grows over here, which I started in 1979, and which is still unfinished.

Dan.