copyright question

Well I have the typical problem.  I have an old family photo that I
would like to use on a book cover.  Trouble is that it was a
professionally done photo.  There is no one left alive that knows who
took it.  It was probably taken in the 1940s to very early in the 50s,
so it think it may already be public domain.  Then again it may not be.
The people in the photo passed away in their 70s 25 years ago so the
odds are no one would ever say anything, but then again.

I don't remember how long it takes to have a photo fall into public
domain, and if it isn't is there a current procedure that would allow
its use?  It's not like I have tons of choices, but there may be some.
This one just seems to be the only known photo of the people during
their youth.  All others show them much later in life.

Any copyright experts?  Thanks in advance.

Mark