Re: I have a dream

... and in some places here in the Deep South this still sadly lingers. Here is an article from todays paper -  Bainbridge is in the very southwest corner of Georgia and I (born and raised in Germany) have lived here for almost 40 years and have seen many changes. Still this place has far to go .....

BOE hopes to end court order

Published Friday, August 20, 2010

The Decatur County Board of Education took action Thursday night with the hopes of ending 43 years of federal judicial supervision.

After meeting in a closed session with board attorney Bruce Kirbo Jr., the board voted, with board member Clarissa Kendrick being the only dissenting vote, to give Kirbo the authorization to file a consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice to end the school desegregation lawsuit initiated in May 1967.

The reorganization of the school system last year, resulting in the closure of Lillian E. Williams Elementary School, opening of the new high school, and the consolidation of grades five through eight, would be considered the final step for dismissal of the court order.

According the consent decree, which is viewable in its entirety by logging on to www.thepostsearchlight.com, the school system has to submit a report to the Justice Department by Oct. 30 that includes the racial breakdown of the district’s students, the racial breakdown of the district’s faculty, a racial and grade-level breakdown of each of the three cheerleading squads at Bainbridge High School, and the school bus routes, including pick-up and drop-off times, for students that were zoned for Lillian E. Williams Elementary in 2008-2009.

Once the Department of Justice receives that report, the system “may move for a declaration of complete unitary status no sooner than 45 days after the United States receives the Oct. 30 report.”