RE: what a find - are they real?

On Thu, July 29, 2010 08:08, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It seems to me there are any number of ways to authenticate these
> materials including neg holder marks, etc.

Given that these are (claimed to be) survivals from a period that little
else survived from, there may not be a lot of contemporary negatives to
compare film holder marks to, though, I realized when I thought about it a
bit more.

> Most obvious would be the
> changes in vegetation and geology. My friends who return to scenic
> locations year after year to photograph can point out missing trees,
> erosion and so on in in subsequent pictures.

That would tie down the time more precisely, but I don't see how that
brings us much closer to identifying the photographer.

> Also to another point RE duplicate shots, AA's work methods
> in early career most likely were not the same as he matured.

"Most likely", yes.  And we don't have the other early negatives to
compare to how he worked then.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info