Re: Epson 1270 Printer reset software

Speaking of Epson printers, I have a CX9400 fax, and the absurdly expensive color ink cartridges run out and the printer shuts down even when I have not printed any photos.  I'm convinced this is not due to evaporation, but rather to the greedy marketing geniuses who have figured out a way of FORCING people to buy new cartridges regularly, even though there's likely ink remaining.

Is there any way to over-ride the program that shuts down the printer when one of the cartridges "runs out" of ink?    Is there any way to fix it so that I can use just the black ink to print Word Documents, and thus save money?

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.