Comments: exhibit of 24 JUL 2010

Although all of this week's photos are worthy of various levels of "very nice" there are three on which I'm moved to comment specifically.

David Small - Contrasts This photo is a pleasure -- at least for me especially. Perhaps it's because I myself lately feel like I'm missing things to "see". I've probably been at the site -- or others like it -- and missed this. So this image is a call for me to wake up. Terrific shot.

John Palcewski - Don't Bother Coming Back Another instance of noticing something fantastic and shooting it. At first I wondered how the light got that way, but when I figured it out I just sat back with admiration.

Emily Ferguson - late winter sunset In my discussions with other photographers, we sometimes consider such images which I'll just call "minimalist" to categorize them without wanting to be offensive. I just don't understand the attraction, however, that others espouse. Is it me? There is structure in the clouds but not in the water -- except for the sliver of red at the shore. Very unlike what Emily's shown before. Perhaps others can chime in (even rebuke me) . . . .

  -yoram