the worst of them

I was given a camera the other day, passed through a third party to me, as the person handed it over and I opened the box a smiled.. it was a Minolta X-300.

the reason I smiled?  long story short, these cameras are one of the few I thoathed.*

It got me thinking first how many wonderful cameras there were/are, and how often I'm impressed by the features various manufacturers included and innovations they made.  And as I thought about all the marvelous cameras I've encountered over the years it also got me wondering, for all the assertions we make about how great (insert the brand name of the camera one owns) are - how many truly awful cameras or photographic bits are there that have made life hard for us?

* - Short story long.. My first camera was a Pentax Spotmatic with the standard 50mm lens.. and as much as I loved using it, the photos I got back were alway too fuzzy for my liking and I aspired to a 'better camera'.  Taking advice from people who were in the know, I saved up and bought the new-at-the-time, Minolta X 300 and convinced myself the images I shot were sharper and better

- It was only later when after much frustration and needless shooting of test targets that I actually learned to develop and print film - and this is where I discovered the fault lay not with my many camera lenses but rather with poorly focussed enlargers making the print

In the meantime I fought and fought with the odd layout of the X-300 and the habit I had of inadvertantly adjusting the shutter speed every time I picked the camera up - which always assured only about 10% of a roll was successful whenever I had a flash mounted.

In the end I realised this camera had been an utter waste of money and I passed it to someone else who appreciated it more than I

I had a similar experience when I sold my trusty Mamiya C-330 to buy a Hasselblad ELM .. my god, double exposures required the back to be removed, long shutter speed shots taken required the operator to hold the shutter for the duration of the shot lest the camera advance while the exposure was being made .. and if you weren't nible enough to release at precisely the right moment then a second exposure would begin (!)  I sold it and bought anothe C-330 in the end.

Digitally, the worst product I've ever owned was a Umax scanner..

So those are my duds .. an X-300, the ELM and a Umax.  I'd add that I won't work on Minolta cameras.. their internals are counter to any logic i've ever experienced.. and I've also been unimpressed by the viscera that lies beneath the shell of Nikons.  However, the Nikon's kin (Konica and Topcon) were all both extremely rugged and logical in their mechanics.

what about you - what have been your worst experiences?