From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lea Murphy
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:27 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: been away

Friends,

I have been away from the Forum for a couple of months as I've struggled to
come to terms with the very unexpected and tragic death of my brother,
Shaun, who killed himself in late May. Shaun was a son, brother, husband,
father of three young children, business owner, a very good and generous
man.

Over these past few weeks I've been going through photographs I've taken of
Shaun through the years; they bring back some great and beautiful memories
while at the same time filling me with a sometimes paralyzing sadness at the
empty hole his absence leaves in the world.

There are things I've done that I wish I hadn't and there are things I
didn't do that I wish I had. One of the greatest regrets I have is not
photographing Shaun the last time we were together, just weeks before he
took his life. It would have been simple enough to turn, frame him in my
viewfinder and press the shutter...the light in Seattle was beautiful that
day, his eyes intense, his smile big.

But I didn't do it. And I'm sorry.

It wouldn't have changed anything for him, I know that, but it would have
changed me.

Who in your world do you love?

Have you told them? Have you photographed them lately?

Please do. You'll be glad you did.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.
www.leamurphy.com

--
"...La photographie est menteuse car, dans la réalité, le temps ne s'arrête pas."  (Auguste Rodin)