been away

Friends,

I have been away from the Forum for a couple of months as I've struggled to come to terms with the very unexpected and tragic death of my brother, Shaun, who killed himself in late May. Shaun was a son, brother, husband, father of three young children, business owner, a very good and generous man.

Over these past few weeks I've been going through photographs I've taken of Shaun through the years; they bring back some great and beautiful memories while at the same time filling me with a sometimes paralyzing sadness at the empty hole his absence leaves in the world.

There are things I've done that I wish I hadn't and there are things I didn't do that I wish I had. One of the greatest regrets I have is not photographing Shaun the last time we were together, just weeks before he took his life. It would have been simple enough to turn, frame him in my viewfinder and press the shutter...the light in Seattle was beautiful that day, his eyes intense, his smile big.

But I didn't do it. And I'm sorry.

It wouldn't have changed anything for him, I know that, but it would have changed me.

Who in your world do you love?

Have you told them? Have you photographed them lately?

Please do. You'll be glad you did.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.
www.leamurphy.com