PF BOOK project is a GO - preliminary (but OK) instructions here

Well, with 11 PhotoForum members already expressing an interest maybe we can launch this thing. It would be good to raise this to 25 or thirty or 100! :)

The book we prepared last time was 7x9 inches in size. I MAY change to a different format but doubt it. I have a liking for the 7x9 format. If there is a change it would be to the 8x8 format.

OK - at first "cut" I'd say the images might be 9 inches in longest dimension at 300 "dpi" or how about 2700 pixels in longer dimension. Preferable to keep file size down in the 1 - 2 Mb in size by NOT using "highest quality JPEG compression". I may be in disagreement with many but I find very little difference between medium and high - but that is just my opinion. So images should be JPEGs and RGB.

The "author" page will start off with the author name and underneath will be the title of the photograph if there is one.

The idea at this time is that everyone gets one page for the photograph (which may be an assembly of smaller photographs but prepared as a single one so I don't have to figure out layout!) and one page for text material. Writing is encouraged in this case. Photo with just a title seems like a lot of empty space facing the image! This maybe 1200 or 1400 characters.

Some things about the photograph(s)), project, photographer's statement, or similar and another segment to present something about author background, activities, biography, etc. This maybe another 1200 or 1400 characters - or redistribute text as appropriate..

Also included would be email address and website(s) as available. If you want to include a "cameo" portrait I guess that could be included but have not made decision about this. We did not have these in last one. The text font I think is Helvetica Neue light for the text in 10 pt size and bold for the author names (14 pt) and photograph titles (12 pt).

You can get a general idea of what facing pages might look like by going to this URL: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/photoforum/PF-Samplepages3.jpg

I guess you could start sending work as per above guidelines. Send text as plain text or in a Word document (please use .doc and don't used .docx) - images attached to email messages. It would be helpful if images arrive labeled as per following sample: photogslastname-firstname.jpg or like this: socrates-leo.jpg where you substitute your last name and first name in place of socrates-leo.

All this to be sent to me at: andpph@xxxxxxx with the word BOOK in the subject line. Deadline for for receipt of materials for inclusion in this book will be July 4, 2010 - that may slip a little due to a possible "vacation" by some members of the office staff.!

One last thing - I may not be able to enter into personal discussions about this project or acknowledge receipt of contributions but will from time to time post to the list those I have received in good condition.

Finally, I will try to do my best with this but please realize I am not an InDesign or PDF or book design expert. My decisions are, as they say, final. Reason for this is that committee work tends to drag on and on and on. If there is something else that needs clarification please raise the issue here and it will be included in a webpage where these instructions will also be posted ... soon!

Andy Davidhazy and the Amazons from Amazonia.

Herschel Mair wrote:

Andy,
Please give us the size and resolution of the page. I'm keen to get started!
Herschel