Now, with the branch becoming the main subject, my perception changes.  I can see a nice image with the branch and the rocks behind it -- but the rocks on the right are distracting.  Without the rocks on the right, I feel the path from the branch leading out to the rear.  The backlighting on the leaves is very effective (meaning I often look for light like that, myself) and the image is unified. . .it's a complete chapter in a longer story.  The branch is the now main character whereas before it was playing second fiddle to the bright rocks in the foreground.

Of course, it's only my take to change what is a nice photo of a very nice setting, and certainly not a criticism.

  -yoram

On May 27, 2010, at 3:43 AM, פיני וולך wrote:

Thanks Lea for your intensive review,
I was blushed.
In this image the dry branch is the subject although it doesn’t work without the rocks background.
No, I don’t have a version without the branch but I have other images from this “Stone Forest” which is an interesting place for photographers.

Thanks again

Pini

From: Lea Murphy
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:40 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: gallery review

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 22, 2010. Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

. . . .
            Pini Vollach - Untitled.   You know this image rocks, right? And there's no pun intended. I really like the contrast of the stones and how you've managed to capture depth, front to back, in this image. I really like what's going on with the right side of the image and how, moving across to the left you get 'let out' just about the same time the focus begins to soften. Part of me hopes you also took an image of this without the branch...I'd love to see it both ways. Very nice.