Re: IR Reflection

Interesting...you think baking powder could be used as a sub?

karl shah-jenner wrote:
Trevor Cunningham:

Hey gang (particularly Andy),

I'm buying studio gear this summer to begin working with small object and still life images. For my continued IR experiments, I want to find a background material that will minimize the reflection of IR waves giving me a deep space black background. I'm buying black felt as it is, but I'm not convinced it will do the trick with IR. Any thoughts/experience?

water!

but seriously, it's really a case of suck it and see with IR.. I have some black velvet that glows like it was a light *source* when photographing with IR .. each material has its own properties

you might try soaking some cloth in an alum solution and see how that goes. I understand aside from making it fireproof, it has some IR properties that the military take advantage of regarding night vision and thermal imaging

haven experimented myself, but if you've some film/paper hardener lying about from the darkroom days, it wouldn't be a big thing to try

karl