Re: PF galery on May 1, 2010

Here are my comments on this week's gallery.  I'll repeat my usual
disclaimer.  These are merely my opinions, expressions of my personal
preferences, worth only as much as the coins inside my nearly empty
piggy bank.

Jim Davis - Storm Over Fuji City    An impressive image overall, and
the only thing I can think of to improve it would be to dodge the
lower part just a bit so as to bring out more detail.

David Small - Naked Cowgirl   A disturbing and sad image.  It seems
like a violation of privacy--or something vaguely illegal!--but then
she obviously had made the conscious decision to stand in public and
attract attention, like that young, handsome, muscular man in his
Jockey shorts  who parades around New York and calls himself The Naked
Cowboy.

Guy Glorieux - Three colors   That's Houston, all right.  A cold,
lifeless mass of steel and glass in downtown, surrounded by a maze of
highways and bumper to bumper traffic.   I'm projecting, of course.
Bad, painful things happened to me in Houston a long time ago.   And I
remember those skyscrapers.  Nice image, but...Ugh!  Others will
doubtless have a different reaction.

Dan Mitchell - Country Cottage   This soothing, pleasant scene might
be improved by burning in some detail in the white of the cottage.

Alan Zinn - Canopic  An interesting image, but there seems to be too
much going on, which feels like a competition for one's attention.  I
go from the girl to the dark basalt statues in the background, and
then to the blue reflection in the glass, to the girl's camera.
Canon?  Or Nikon???

Hans Klemmer - Girl, Amritsar India  A beautiful image, which I
imagine you probably wished was shot with a stop and a half more
exposure.  But then better to get it on the fly, as it is, rather than
not at all.

Emily L. Ferguson - spring morning   If it were my image, I think I'd
spend the time and effort in Photoshop shortening that long stick in
the right foreground.  Otherwise a most pleasant scene.

Yoram Gelman - Mist in Patagonia    Seems like too much white in the
upper right.  I think the shot would be entirely more successful if
you cropped in to include only the lower left third of the image.

Andrew Sharpe - Boronda Lake, CA   Lots of interesting movement in a
fine composition.