Re: PF member's exhibit on April 17, 2010

Herewith my musings on this week's gallery, along with the warning
that this is merely my opinion, nothing more, and probably not worth a
full two cents in today's economy.

Emily Ferguson - Early spring sailing on Buzzards Bay.  The original
image probably is sharply focused and alive with color and contrast,
but as it appears here it seems flat and fuzzy.  Unfortunate because
the happy alignment of the three sailboats in the distance with the
big chain of the foreground provides a fresh view of familiar things.

Yoram Gelman - Still in Context     The cold moisture on the creamer
and the tall glass, along with the silverware, reinforce an overall
feeling of winter or cloudiness or general bad weather, and makes me
want to order the waiter to bring me a big cup of hot chocolate.

Jim Snarski - Great Blue  The water seems frozen over, like a sheet of
ice, and the heron appears to be frozen as well, fully stopped in
motion, which somehow seems a contradiction of the idea of flight.   I
can imagine an awkward, slippery landing rather than a graceful one.

Hans Klemmer - Elmer and his Toolbox   Doubtless there is tremendous
personal significance in the image for the photographer, but to a
stranger there is little to connect the disparate objects into
something moving or meaningful.  License plates, a tool box, cones
used to make individual cups of coffee (?), crates, bottles, etc.  The
projected image is subtle, and I probably would not have seen it were
it not for the caption.

Russ Baker - Amy   A most pleasing portrait of a perky girl, cute as a button.

Mark Harris - Metuchen Flowering Pea   If some of the trees' trunks
were included it would break up the uniformity of the image.  As it
is, it might well be like a bowl of popcorn--not very flowery.

David Dyer-Bennet - Trees on hillside, Lilydale Regional Park   The
sloping rock in the foreground, with the tree in the hollow, makes an
interesting, engaging composition.  It captures and holds attention,
which is what we all aspire to do.

Guy Glorieux - Getting the show on the wall (a bit of self-promotion)
  If it were my work, and my self-promotion, I'd try a shot that gives
a better sense of the pictures that will make up the exhibit.

Andrew Davidhazy - All in a day's work   Well, I can't help but think
that this girl is now a woman in her late 50s or early 60s, and that
$25 back then probably bought a hell of a lot more than it would buy
today.   Charming shot!