RE: Shopping for Lighting and IR

Well before you rebuy or have the transformers in the units change, I would suggest that you look and see if you can get a separate unit that will convert the 120 here to the 220 you have there.  Then all you have to do is plug your current system into that unit, and that unit into the wall and you are good to go.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Shopping for Lighting and IR
From: Herschel Mair <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, March 27, 2010 10:48 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've noticed a trend towards less and less studio work and more and
more location work where you take the studio to the set.

I have some battery powered studio lighting (BOWENS) and I make a LOT
of use of ambient daylight. And I try to over expose the backgrounds a
little for modern "Trendoid" lighting.
These days the pix must look as unstructured and unconstructed as
possible. Authenticity is the keyword.

I bang a 6 foot softbox on a light, turn it down to "0" where it gives
me around f:4 up against the subject. An additional 4x6 foot
scrim/reflector on a C-stand for fill so it's softer than soft

(I often have to use ND filters) then I balance the background with
shutter speed. Early morning/sunrise looks like mid-morning. You
couldn't have done this stuff with film... you'd have a nightmare
getting the colour right.
But that's the look and feel that get's me work here and in Dubai,
which is a sophisticated market.
herschel