Re: Shopping for Lighting and IR

I've noticed a trend towards less and less studio work and more and more location work where you take the studio to the set. I have some battery powered studio lighting (BOWENS) and I make a LOT of use of ambient daylight. And I try to over expose the backgrounds a little for modern "Trendoid" lighting. These days the pix must look as unstructured and unconstructed as possible. Authenticity is the keyword.   I bang a 6 foot softbox on a light, turn it down to "0" where it gives me around f:4 up against the subject. An additional 4x6 foot scrim/reflector on a C-stand for fill so it's softer than soft

(I often have to use ND filters) then I balance the background with shutter speed. Early morning/sunrise looks like mid-morning. You couldn't have done this stuff with film... you'd have a nightmare getting the colour right. But that's the look and feel that get's me work here and in Dubai, which is a sophisticated market. herschel