RE: How tall should the turbines be?

Andy:
If the answer is somewhere out on the lake and if it is over 12 miles out,
it will be invisible, then the height in the image should be 0 inches tall -
you can't see it.

If, on the other hand, it is closer than the magical 12 miles ( adjustments
will have to be made for the curvature effect by cutting off the bottom of
the towers appropriately ) then the calculation will still stand.
Take the picture, mark the left and right edges of the frame and measure
that.  Follow the procedure for scaling as if the towers were to be on the
shore line.
Then, measure the distance from the camera to the shore and use that as a
second scaling factor for moving the towers off-shore.
Assuming a 1/4 mile width and a 1/4 mile distance from camera to shore,
The tower images should be reduced in proportion to the number of 1/4 mile
increments off-shore - if the towers are to be 2 mile off shore, the
reduction will be 1/8th of the shore height so the towers in my example will
be about 3/8ths inches high in a 8 x 12 inch picture, and so on.  Without
doing the curvature calculations, one can fudge the amount needed to be cut
off from the bottom of the towers as a ratio between the 12 mile invisible
and actual distance off shore.
In the 2 miles off shore example, cut 2/12 or 1/6th off the bottom of the
tower and place them exactly on the horizon for an approximate view.
( If any of you out there have the actual formula for calculating the
curvature drop-off, please feel free to chip in but I think for this
exercise, the linear model will be just fine. )
Cheers,
James