RE: Pre-owned stuff

I also buy quite a bit of used stuff.  I bought 2 very good used lenses
a while back (more like 10 years now) a Canon 28 80 2.8 4.0L and a 80
200 2.8L and have had no problems with them at all.  Saved a bundle.
Though a new model was out then and out now, quality glass lasts a long
time.  Film camera bodies are the same way.  They don't stop working
because a new model came out.

Digital bodies are a bit different.  There the technology can make more
of a difference, but I recently bought a used Canon 50D just after the
new model came out and have no regrets.

Where you get your used gear is important though.  You have to be able
to lay your hands on it, tough it and try it out, or you have to have a
great deal of trust in the companies where you buy.

One such company is KEH (keh.com) in Atlanta.  Never had a problem with
anything they sent and they usually didn't rate the item as high as I
would have if the shoe had been on the other foot.  I think its a 14 day
return policy no questions asked.

Things like studio light stands, backdrop holder ect can all be picked
up used from a photo studio going out of business ect and they still
work just as well as they ever did.

Mark