Subject: Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 5341
From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, February 10, 2010 12:48 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark:

Dan its a common attitude, but its very misguided. When they use your
photos without permission there is only one word (ok maybe a few different
words some of which are 4 letters) that really applies. IT IS STEALING, or
THEFT and no one likes to be ripped off.

no sorry, it's copyright infringement..

Recently we've seen a huge public re-education campaign by huge
organizations to attempt to make it appear to be theft, but it isn't. They
even attempt to key in the word 'deprivation' to create a sense of theft ..
The basis of theft is deprivation, stealing is taking something such that
the person who possessed the item no longer has it.

copyright infringement is another game altogether

Mind you, there was a push to make the trade, lending or sale of second
hand books illegal in one country by certain 'concerned groups'
(publishers) - this would have seen libraries abolished. Of course their
argument was also 'deprivation'

mad world..