Re: Photographer stripped of title

Here's where I first heard about the controversy; the discussion thread,
while long, also has quite a lot of good information in it.
<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/12/leaping-wolf-picture-called-into-question.html>.

On Thu, January 21, 2010 15:51, Bob wrote:
> My two cents......  The article says that Jose "risked a slow shutter
> speed".  If a slow shutter speed means a long exposure, like 1/60 vs
> 1/500,  seems to me there would be some 'blur' since the wolf would most
> likely had a running start to jump the fence.  I think some of his
> motion would be faster than 1/60.  Doesn't using a 'blad  mean that
> electronic flash can be used at high shutter speeds?  Wouldn't flash
> stop the action?

This is clearly flash plus available light (not much).  If you use 1/2
second shutter speed (on a tripod) and trigger a flash with 1/1000 sec
duration at some point during that, you'll get the stuff lit by the flash
sharp, and anything not lit by the flash will be whatever degree of
sharpness its own movement gives.  Rocks will be sharp; trees will depend
on wind level.

Since the wolf is the most brightly lit thing, and the background is far
back and not much lit, you probably won't see the wolf's motion during the
long shutter opening; but the exact results depend on the precise
brightness of various bits.

> Yikes!  I may relearn stuff I forgot with this thread!  8^)

Oh noes!

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info