RE: New but old thread

Bummer!

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:24:00 -0600
From: droberts@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New but old thread
To: photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just relating a situation many of you may have faced.  I backed up all photo files to 2 different 500 GB hard drives but never made a disk -mistake, I know - and I never used the drives at the same time they were always turned off until I needed a photo.  A couple of weeks ago I accessed a photo on the older of the drives and had problems.  I assumed that drive was biting the dust - it had become unreadable - so I turned it off and turned on the new drive.  Shortly I ran into problems there as well.  Making the story shorter, my computer went berserk and the drive interfaces somehow corrupted both drives.  I replace the computer, yes, a Mac, and tried to recover images.  No luck.  I was able to format the newer drive and reuse it.  I bought Disk Doctor Image Recovery software and ran it on the remaining drive.  The good news is that it worked and recovered most if not all of the images; the bad news is that they are in generic files with generic file names and the only way I can use them is to examine each file, thousands, and then rename and resort.  At least I got them back but this will occupy me for some time.
Don