RE: Digital Asset Management options

From my days with the 10d, Canon software has been a last resort.  In this case what I am wanting to do seems far less user friendly, very typical of my previous experience.  It didn't fit in my workflow very well and archiving seemed even a bigger pain.  My current workaround for the 50D is to convert all my raw files to DNG files.  Photoshop and Bridge will read DNG files, but managing an keywording isn't as easy as I would like that way.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Digital Asset Management options
From: Robert McCulloch <bobmcculloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, January 12, 2010 5:48 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why not use Digital Photo Pro that came with your Canon, or get the free download from Canon, works great for me. Bob.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Don Roberts <droberts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adobe does seem strange.  I have a new Powershot G11.  I can't open the RAW files in PS CS3 but I can get the updates to open them in PS Elements 6 and Lightroom 2.  I can get by with those almost all of the time.  But why handicap your flagship image editing program just to try to force people to buy new?  Not good customer relations.
Don

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well not long ago I had a question about Photoshop.  I just got a Canon 50D and low and behold CS2 wouldn't open the raw files.  Looked and couldn't find a way to make Photoshop to open them, so I called Adobe.  I would have understood if they told me that the 50D came out after CS2 and I would have to upgrade.  I would have greatly appreciated an update that would allow CS2 to open the current files.  They told me neither.  Instead they just said we don't support CS2 anymore and I would have to ask someone else, ie not our problem so go away.   I took that as Adobe telling me that I was indeed Number 1.

Now I am already on the Photoshop train an there really isn't a practical way off, but it will be a long time before I get Lightroom.  I would hope someone at Adobe would read this and know that I think Adobe is Number 1 too and am going to keep my money in my pocket till I have to.  Frankly an apology would be nice but that's dreaming.