Re: Characterize Digital Camera Color

On Fri, December 18, 2009 19:28, photoroy6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> You don't need to set the exposures at different plus factors as a thru
> the
>  lens meter will compensate for the differences. Why go thru all the
> trouble of  three exposures when in Photoshop you can easily change color
> balance,
> selective  color, curves contrast etc on any image, even a moving image.
> Popular  Photography is making precise measurements with colors  under
> test
> conditions to show the differences between cameras.

If I'm understanding him correctly, his hope is that his choice of color
filters will let him, in the end, render purer and more accurate colors
than the filters chosen by a digital camera manufacturer.

In theory this is a perfectly reasonable hope.

In practice, I'm doubtful.  The filters he's using are long-standing
standard tri-color filter sets.  Thus, they were well-known to digital
camera designers, and if they used something else, it was for a reason.
(This does leave open the possibility that he cares more about color
clarity than the digital designers, and thus will make different tradeoffs
and get what he wants.)

Of course, working in large format has its own advantages.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info