Re: Question

Kenneth Frazier wrote:
On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Ruey wrote:

 science and art could coexist comfortably and today so many artists seem scared to death of learning any science

I had a long and frustrating session this morning with my partner, an artist, who was trying to make flight reservations online.

In her case, as with others I know, the problem seems to be that she thinks the "computer" is smart, and she's not, so she tries to "out-thinik" it, with predictably disastrous results.  It doesn't do any good to explain that it is basically as dumb as a rock.

Also, she doesn't "see" what's on the screen....she "sees" color and shape, not text.

Ken, who usually lurks and learns, and who is trying mightily to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard to behave with his printers...speaking of art and science.

peace to all,

The Rev. Ken Frazier
First Congregational Church
Waterbury, CT  06702
203-757-0331
pastorfcchurch@xxxxxxxxxxx
kennybod@xxxxxxx

Whenever I get in a checkout line and the checker has trouble with the computerized cash register I take pains to explain that it is not their fault and that I used to design computers. I feel like there are things that computers should never be used for - voting machines for example. Ballot scanners are OK if the process is designed right but now with only one company making the voting machines I think it is crazy to use them. But usually I think it is not people's fault when computers seem obstinate. Before digital there were film cameras with incredibly intuitive user interfaces and there were cameras that were always a pain to use. Good computers and software ought to be designed to be easy to use and when they are not it is seldom the users fault in my opinion.

Ed