Subject: Question
From: Ruey <tmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, December 18, 2009 6:38 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why is it that in earlier times science and art could coexist
comfortably and today so many artists seem scared to death of learning
any science and so many engineer-scientists find no value in art or
desire to create it? I wonder if this modern extensive degree of
specialization and complete distrust of the other or their knowledge,
hasn't a great deal to with our inability to solve the problems we face
in the world today? What could an instructor do to bridge that gap?

Ed Scott

Living in the dual worlds of having been an artist, then an engineer and now sort of a little of both I can tell you for certain there are times that your way of doing things will seem as bazaar as you describe of her. What intrigues me is that there have been people for whom living in art and science was the most natural of conditions and that doing that had some benefits for civilization. My sense is that we moving a light speed away from being able to be that kind of generalist and that this will have ... already does have consequences. We are such a fractionalized society even within art or science. One wonders in America today if the country will ever again have a common goal.

I will also say that not all engineers are as you describe. Working in R&D at the edge of what technology can accomplish, measurement capabilities are less important than innovation. I guess there are similarities in art. Craft becomes more a matter of getting what a customer will buy or what fits your desires for art than innovation. I have a sense that traditional people blended art and technology, and were very relaxed about co-mingling the two.

Ed