Re: iPhone stuff

In a message dated 06/12/2009 16:10:20 GMT Standard Time, lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
They're changing the very way we experience the world from up to the moment news stories (think of the plane that went down in the Hudson) to images of new babies being introduced to grandparents across the country within moments of being born.
A post it note stuck on a mirror saying I LUV U can have more meaning and make more impact than a $10 greeting card or a $50 bouquet, on the other hand it could mean 'I was too lazy to get to the shops in time for Valentine's Day so I thought I'd better do something.'  However judged as works of art or works of nature it is unlikely that the post it note would score many points.

Something similar may well prevail in respect of photography - a faded, dog eared newspaper cutting with a poor quality black and white image of someone long gone could be one of the most precious things in the world to someone. In some cases any image at all is better than no image.

However as a reader and viewer of the published media I have a strong dislike for images which are not technically good images and, though I have not seen the result of her labours I would suggest that the photo journalist relying on her cell phone is short changing her publication's viewers or readers. I would suggest that photo editors and photographers have a similar duty of care towards their clients as has the studio photographer or the professional wedding photographer.

In a similar vein I know that text messages on a cell phone can prove to be very useful, even to the point of averting injury, accidents or a fruitless journey and I accept that no matter how much I dislike abbreviations like M8 (for mate - a term of which I am not particularly fond) abbreviations in txt msgs are useful but if someone published a Shakespeare play translated into text abbreviations it would be a traversty ,of the original. A brief outline of the plot of a play might be conveyed by abbreviations but all the beauty of the language would be lost.

Michael