Re: iPhone stuff

i have a usb flash drive the size of my thumbnail that's 16gb...ten years ago, 3.5 floppies at 1.14 mb were being replaced with zips...it won't be long and that thumb drive will be 1 tb...my only question is this: what level of media will require that much storage with such portability? at what point will a 4x5 back be in the prosumer price range? 8x10? what are we going to be doing with these images? i think the gigapixel project is something that might be an evolutionary market step, even in a telephone...but why?

Lea Murphy wrote:
I've taken images with my iphone whose quality surprise me. I've taken some real dogs, too.

The biggest hurdle is getting past everything these phones aren't and embracing all they are: easy, present, fast, of good quality.

I'm not going to capture with my iphone what I can capture with my 5DM2 but I don't always have my big gun with me. I do ALWAYS have my iphone.

In the very insightful words of Chase Jarvis...the best camera is the one you have with you.

As far as the images creating a body of work that is trivial yet enjoyable to make I'd simply say that much art is just that. Especially work created at the forefront of the a new technology. A lot of what's created with phones these days is testing, stretching, exploring the limits of what this new breed of camera technology can do. Some of it's a flop. Some of it is pretty amazing.

I have a friend with thirty years experience as a tv news reporter for a local station.  Her iphone's video camera and a few downloaded apps have allowed her to create content on the fly, faster and easier than she's ever been able to do with all her station's fancy gear. AND she can do it all by herself in the field without a separate camera man, sound man, film editor. She creates content, emails it to the station and moves on to a new story. With a camera that fits in her pocket. To say this is revolutionary is an understatement.

Think how the Brownie camera transformed photography for the  masses. Cell phone cameras are doing the same thing.

They're changing the very way we experience the world from up to the moment news stories (think of the plane that went down in the Hudson) to images of new babies being introduced to grandparents across the country within moments of being born.

We are on the front edge of an overhaul of popular photography as we've known it. Digital cameras started it. Cell cameras have taken the ball and run with it.

I'll be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Lea