Re: Metadata

Metadata
----- Original Message -----
From: jonathan turner
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:30 PM
Subject: Metadata

Hello, can anyone explain to me exactly what metadata is?

My understanding is that it's all the technical data from the camera,
embedded within the file. However, I wandered if any captioning I give to
an image will also be included in this.

I caption stuff in the 'file info' tool in Photoshop. I wander whether
someone without access to PS could read the captions in another piece of
software, such as photomechanic etc?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

can you ftp up an example of an image that has been captioned in PS
somewhere with the matadata intact for us to look at in other programs?

for amusements sake, a 1x1 pixel crop of a photo might be a good one to
examine =)

Karl