"By hand" and more Wm Mortensen.

I was reminded while reading more on Wm Motensen that somehow using
light and chemical soup, whether an alchemist like WM was or an
empiricist like AA was, doing it "by hand" is popularly regarded more
worthy than by mouse. For me his work is an example that completes the
circle of so-called "hand" to digital art expression.

I just got rid of the last odds n' ends of my darkroom stuff - gave it
all away. I have to say with no modesty that I was good at the darkroom.
It isn't rocket surgery. I am but a novice at anything but the most
routine PhotoShop skills.  PS requires at the very least, an equal
amount of general technical skill and affords way more choices of
particular manual skills. It is by no means easy. Why do people persist
in devaluing art made with the aid of a computer?

I am not squeamish about using PS plug-ins.  Are you?  Is it less
worthy? Should or could the same result be gotten in the dark?

More MM stuff:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Mortensen/mortensen.html
http://www.artnet.com/artist/682224/william-mortensen.html
http://photo.net/photography-education-forum/005fZU