Re: photo id please!

AZ,

GREAT! that you found interesting info along the journey of discovery
about Mortensen. Yup ... his books ... especially one by title of
Monsters and Madonnas is highly prized (and priced!) by connoisseurs.

I only have a couple of the lesser desirable ones!! Once I was
instrumental in bringing a collection (owned by the Photo Society of
America) to the school. I'd be afraid to do what I did then - no
insurance!

He was very fortunate to have many willing models it seems - and he
made the best of it apparently.

As you say he might have been way ahead of this time - since he did
a lot of what these days might be called "manipulation" of the prints
or negatives.

I myself very much liked his lighting "technique" which he details in
detail in one of his books: Pictorial Lighting.

That is Marilyn Monroe??? really??

click!
andy

lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Andy,

Your photo ID challenge has led me to lots of interesting new things.
Mortensen was way ahead of his time - 21st Century, Beyond Cool,
Mega-Zombie Kitsch - and really trashed by the photo art establishment. Someone needs to write a film about his life. His books are worth a lot now.
Marilyn Monroe was born Norma Jeane Mortenson (1926)!  That would make
her 25 in '51 - the time of the photo.

AZ
LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!