Re: New photographs in PF gallery on 10-31-09

At 10:13 AM -0400 10/31/09, John Palcewski wrote:
Jim Snarski - Evolution. When I was studying photography at New York University we displayed our images and got critiques. I showed one, and remarked that it was mostly an accident. The professor shook his head. "Never, EVER, devalue your work as an accident. Instead you should insist everything was by calculation and design. Why give your critics ammunition?"

The Princes of Serendip and I respectfully disagree with your professor...anyone who regularly shoots action or nature pays appropriate homage to the happy accidents that occur...no part of which *devalues* the work...this particular shot would be virtually impossible to obtain by *calculation and design*...rather, it's being in the right place with the right intent and coming up with an image which, to me at least, is interesting and perhaps even evokes a feeling ...furthermore, I have no fear of critics...I respect those with constuctive comments and dismiss the put-down artists...I also hold in high esteem photographers and other artists who embrace the truth...

    thanks for your thoughts...

Cap'n Jimmy
Baja Oregon