Re: 'Digital lenses"

Roy

: My understanding is similar to Hershel's. A digital lens is a lens that
is
: designed for the "half frame" DSLR APS-C camera. Since it only needs to
: cover a  smaller sensor it can be made smaller and cheaper thus providing
: lighter  camera to carry.

well like I said, i've seen explanations here on PF saying that digital
lenses produced collimated image forming light..

and I still find it hard to swallow.  The explanation of telecentric lenses
goes some way to explaining how this might work, but the claim by non
specialty camera manufacturers that their lenses are telecentric is
something I doubt (they often seem to avoid using the word and instead
describe how their 'digital' lenses creat a non-converging parallel ray
induced image)

much as Olympus does here
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_7045.htm

though they use the term 'near-telecentric'

haha

right

As to a lens being called digital because it's designed for a smaller
frame, that's just weird (probably marketing hype, but weird nonetheless).
The little Pentax 110 of yesteryear - a fine camera by the way - managed by
labelling it's lenses in mm, same as everyone else did for so so long.. and
I really don't think too many people got confused and assumed that the 24mm
was a wide angle ;)

it's almost as weird as the concept of a '4/3 lens system' - another odd
term i've seen floating about lately

Has no one else has encountered the claim that digital lenses output
parallel rays of light to the sensor?