Re: PF exhibit on 03-10-09

Emily Ferguson - Camo - Not much of a naturalist, myself, but I like this one. The wind seems to be causing a stir on the surface that helps the ducks blend in even more into the barrage of shades of green. Nice.

Don Roberts - Church Parking Lot 2 - The kind of mathematical/geometric composition I tend to like. I'm not convinced the grass doesn't pull my attention away from the subject, though it seems appropriate somehow. I think it could use a little more contrast, thought the exposure is spot on. I like Amish country, it's usually very pretty.

Dan Mitchell - Hands Up - I like the minimalist geometry here, though my lip turned up on one side when I recognized the Starbuck's sign. Otherwise, a nice composition study and use of color. This week's effort seems more befitting a Leica (in my naive opinion) that last's.

John Palcewski - Strega - After David's errant scolding from yesterday, I might be hesitant to react to this one on anything else other than technical merit. However, I don't much feel like being redneck-bullied out of discussing how an image makes me feel or what thoughts it conjures up, regardless of one's myopic interpretation of my "politics". Technical: I wish the background was a little darker, I keep trying to see something behind her. Otherwise, perfectly focused and an effective use of flash. Her eyes take on a mysterious purple hue, it seems. Emotional: However, I can't help but get the impression that I'm being told told to celebrate something I don't quite believe in. It's a little in-your-face for my taste. What some people see as bold and expressive, I generally see as sad and lacking confidence...a self-fulfilling prophecy of detachment at the hands of a desperate effort to garner attention. This girl is beautiful, but she's built a barrier to hide her beauty so that people might notice her. Or, maybe, she just thinks it looks cool and it pisses off her parents.

David Dyer-Bennet - Sunken Garden - Cool! The landscape and shape of the canopy naturally corrects the lens distortion. I have to second John in that this works very well. I would have waited for the people to leave, if possible, and gotten a little more anal about the symmetry of the cyprus trees on the side and the frame of the atrium. Definitely the winner for me this week.

Stephen Ylvisaker - Kingfisher - Cool birds. Good composition, overexposed. The hot-white branch distracts me from the little punk rocker.