Re: PF exhibit on 09-19-09

At 7:25 AM -0400 9/19/09, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP 19, 2009. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

           Jim Davis - Boardsailing Motosuko

Is that Mt. Fuji?

Interesting how the white sails draw ones attention, but they're not strong enough to support the image title.

           Stephen Ylvisaker - Eirik the Red

I'd prefer the bg to be kicked back by darkening and throwing further out of focus. Not being a dog person I mostly find myself looking at the yuckky sloppy tongue and dragonian curve of its edge draped among the aptly named canines there! Must be a nice dog, but keep me away from the sloppy kiss routine, please.

           Marilyn Dalrymple - Dragonfly

I have this problem with my photos too - the 2:3 ratio just doesn't solve the problem of taking a photo of an environment with a small object in it and having the object be the attention getter. There are so many distractions and one cannot adjust the environment to rearrange them so they support the object of particular interest. Perhaps moving to the right, getting down lower... Oh but there's poison ivy over there - whoops.

So the dragonfly looks sufficiently small that we must be alerted to it. And yet, if we took an image of just the dragonfly, we would not be saying anything about the beauty of its environment. And the image would be just another of a million photographs of dragonflies.

           John Palcewski - Festival of St. Vito

Interesting cultural references here - the focussed but contentless stare of the boy, the conflict between the beautiful white smock and the ugly modern aluminum foil around the flowers, the complete lack of involvement by the grownups in the situation accentuating the aloneness of the boy, and yet he's surrounded by a mob.

           Rob Miracle - Brittany on the Rocks

The face and sky are very dark on my monitor so I'm deprived of seeing the expression in the model's eyes. The pose looks contrived and extremely uncomfortable and the clothing is in complete conflict with the environment.

           Roy Miller - Filomena

Sure.  OK.  But why?

           Elson T. Elizaga - All We Are Saying

Wonderful twist on the '60s motif. The print is too big, however - even for a billboard. It dominates the image. And the font has no grace. And the hand with the flower looks like it doesn't belong to the boy - just too big and worn.

As always, thanks to Andy for his labor in the vineyard. We are so fortunate to have him do this each week!

FYI - for subscription instructions and other informational files visit the
PhotoForum's website at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/photoforum.html

PF on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=234442540144&ref=mf

--
Emily L. Ferguson