Re: PF exhibit on 09-19-09

Merely my opinion of this week's Gallery, worth nothing more or less than two cents:

Jim Davis - Boardsailing Motosuko.  The pale blue mountain and the tree covered slopes immediately capture my attention, and only belatedly do I locate the boardsailing.   Since an image generally speaks for itself,  quibbling about how a title may or may not be effective or appropriate is somewhat pointless.

Emily L. Ferguson - Boatyard hair with color coordinated facepaint.  I see yellow fish netting with strands of blue, and paint splotches on the deck of the boat.   As for metaphor, yes, of course,  it could very well be  seen as human hair and cosmetics, but I prefer to interpret an image MY way, not the author’s!

Stephen Ylvisaker - Eirik the Red     Tack sharp detail, good exposure.  I feel like I could reach over and pet that curly head.

Marilyn Dalrymple – Dragonfly   This is somewhat like Boardsailing, where there’s just a bit of delay before the subject is recognized.  Maybe if there were no title, a viewer would soon discover that dragonfly, and be pleasantly surprised.

Rob Miracle - Brittany on the Rocks   I’d vote for cropping away most of the left side of the shot, because the girl is the subject, and she’s got an interesting _expression_ on her face.

Roy Miller - Filomena    As an abstraction and a Photoshop manipulation, there isn’t much of a feeling of woman or girl here.  Seems like a clash of color, a chaos.

Elson T. Elizaga - All We Are Saying   While it’s an intriguing image of a child, I can’t quite make out how offering a flower might bring him/her some nourishment or support the message of the text.