Re: copyright protection and the extreme

Re:

"I support the idea that children should not be allowed to used the Internet until they are 18 just like you can't drink beer legally (in the US) until you are 18. It would give them something to look forward to. Also the state I live in has graduated licenses for driving a road vehicle.
Perhaps the Internet could be the same way."

Absolutely NO - Governments everywhere want to control the Internet because they do not like citizens having access to something that they, Govts., do not control. And especially Govts. do not like their citizens having a cheap means of communication that is difficult to monitor - so are attempting to force ISPs to keep ever more comprehensive records.

So beware, there is an insidious movement towards internet control; at first it is based on seemingly reasonable reasons - protect children, reduce porn.,reduce crime, protect copyrights - all "reasonable" aims - but wait after this comes ever more heavy control - like e.g. iPhones with no wifi ? - now where do we see this ?

Don't start down this path - it is the salami slice technique - give up a little bit control at first, then another, and another ---