RE: copyright protection and the extreme

On Tue, August 18, 2009 13:14, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
>>The masses have already voted
>>and the idea is not workable any longer.
>
> The masses voted centuries ago.  If it can be gotten for free they
> sure as hell don't want to have to pay for it.

Um, copyright is pretty recent.  The *first* copyright law was in 1710,
and that's only three centuries ago.

And you CAN'T actually get it for free; not for long.  Creators need to
make a good enough living that they continue to work.  I think most people
realize this, if they think on the issue at all.  Trouble is, in the big
popular-culture areas of music and movies, most of the money doesn't go to
the creative people anyway, and people see copyright as primarily
benefiting the big distribution companies.  And at least talking about the
changes in copyright in my lifetime, that's largely true.

> That doesn't make it right.

Laws can't very well be based on any one moral system -- there isn't one
that we all share.  The question is, what can be made to "work"?

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info