RE: digital to analog conversion

IF a film recorder is just 100 bucks, there is no doubt that is the way to go no doubt about it.  Will also check out some places like KEH and see what they run there.  I thought they would be in the $1000s which would make no sense for my volume.  At that price point it make sense to make a negative as a backup for long term storage.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: digital to analog conversion
From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, August 13, 2009 1:50 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>I am beginning to follow you but I never figured out how to deal with the
orange mask of color film, and wouldn't the color be affected unless you
dealt with that in some fashion???? Wouldn't it have the cross processed
look? Granted it might could be done with altering the filter pack. I
still hate printing color.

Colour is fine, but only once you spend a lot of time practicing first!
Black and white is something you can get straight into.. a reasonable
amount of time learning to really see those casts and you'll find it easy
as B&W :)

As to the cast, there were some interneg films about for copying work that
didn't have a cast, those would be the ideal films to shoot with. My
experimentation with creating a working mask for an appropriate contrast
neg were abandoned long back, and I really can't recall where or how I
begun. I'm afraid you'd need to dig deeper for more info sorry

>Now black an white with a color neg is another issue and Panalure isn't
available any more. Guess you could just use the black inks, and probably
should and that should help allow for more splashes ect.

Blacks and greys are better than straight blacks, the tonal range matches
better - some good ink sets are available for very nice tonal prints. My
advice, use a printer with a removable head (Canon) so you can just swap
out the head+ink rather than purging and wasting ink between swaps. Price
a replacement head first though, you may find a basic 4 colour printer
converted to black + grey inks to be cheaper than a replacement print head!

>Many of the files were captured with film, scanned for about an open 50
meg file, altered and now I hope to get back to film. Many may be black an
white.

the more I think about this, the more I am convinced you'd probably be
better served trying to get a film recorder! .. or if it's only for a few
dozen images, outsourcing it. Last time I went looking on ebay for second
hand 4000 ppi / 8000 ppi recorders there were propalettes and lasergraphic
models for under $100 (!!) Aside form the personal satisfaction of
nutting out how to do it yourself, you might derive more pleasure from
spending the money and getting on with making negatives ;)

B&W though would still be easy enough to try at home making a contact print
sized neg just for fun

just a thought

Karl