Subject: Re: The Nature Conservancy's Digital Photography Contest
From: lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, August 12, 2009 6:46 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It seems to get tougher continually for professional photographers. I'd
like to see examples of rights grabber's catalogs. Who are they? Can
anyone point to a specific instance where they lost business to them?
Or is it just part of the general malaise - photographers feeling picked
upon by a better (sneaky-er!?) business plan, royalty-free CD's,
idiot-proof digital cameras, and on and on? I recall the same screams of
unfair, unfair at the purveyors of royalty-free CD albums way back when.

Recently I mentioned my difficulty finding decent images on Getty and
Corbis. The commercial illustration shots are with few exceptions
laughably awful, unworthy of a $19.98 CD. If the rights grabbers are
"stealing" good stuff and it's no better than the other collections I
don't really care. The better commercial workers get big bucks and
deservedly so. I doubt that they worry about loosing jobs to the stock
houses.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!