RE:Re: data storage (again)

On Wed, August 5, 2009 14:50, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'll bet you even change your own motor oil.

One of my great luxuries has been that I *never* work on my car.

> It seems to me that the less annoying services will be the most
> successful. There needs to be a digital version of "No user serviceable
> parts" sticker. Mess with it and you die.

That'd be useful.  Those stickers are a decent guide to finding where you
can actually do some good!  (I got trained in on this by an IBM field
service engineer, who was showing us how to find which fuse was blown on
the line printer driver board in an IBM 1401, and where he kept the
spares, so we could un-solder the old one and solder in a new one without
waiting for him to come up from Rochester.)

> If you have to tinker aren't there plenty of open-source and hobby
> resources?

I haven't found photographic or software tools where the built-in
functionality is sufficient; I need them to be part of an open system.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info