Re: data storage (again)

Bob wrote:
True, but A doesn't send data to C so that B can retrieve it. It goes from A to B with no storage at C.

Since you didn't quote, I'm not sure what this is responding to. We started with data storage in the cloud, so there certainly IS storage involved.

Next, WiFi cameras? Wow! I can have photos of the Grand Canyon because Joe Megapixel just took a photo? I'll never have to pay for a flight to anywhere again? I'll miss the experience of seeing it live, in person? What a deal!

WiFi cameras have been around for years, both P&S with integral WiFi, add-ons for DSLRs (both Canon and NIkon have them), and then there are the "EyeFi" SD cards that implement WiFi connectivity for any SD-memory camera. Then there's Microsoft's PhotoSynth, which does interesting things producing composite imagery of an area from a collection of photos. Some of the examples are based on tag searches on Flickr. They're great for researching an area.

Guess what! Colossus and Guardian are not real. People, human beings, program all this stuff you are dreaming about. You know, programmers that are real live living people. So in effect someone I don't know and have never met, and most likely will never meet will be responsible for my data.

People designed the disk drives, too, and the processors, and the memory, and so forth, as well as the software. But I'm not sure what your point here is. (I've been a software engineer for 40 years now.)

Wow ! The camera will critique my photos? Maybe the programmers think like you do and not like I do. All my photos would look like you shot them. The comments on the weekly gallery are examples of this. Some like the way a photo was presented while others are not quite so pleased with the photo. They enter comments that differ.

Sure, basic rules aren't always best. I can't tell you how many photos I've seen that WOULD have benefited from following basic rules, though!

Several years ago a programmer had a hand in writing a payroll program for a large corporation. He created a fictitious employee and for years put the less than half a penny, like if the real pay was $167.964, the .004 into the phony employees account and wrote the check. All the safe guard at that time didn't catch him. (He started bragging one day and got caught)

More than several, this is one of the 60s generation of computer fraud stories. And it isn't at all relevant to people getting at your data stored in the cloud today, either; the technologies are too different.

Storing your data at home doesn't protect it particularly, you know. People's home systems may average less secure than cloud storage, in fact.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info