Re: Gallery

Here http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Greg,

One question though. I really want to take this image into Photoshop and
close up the gap but I am not that good at radial transformations. So
here's my question - Why the gap? Is there some inherent mechanical
reason why you cannot make a conical panoramic strip camera  that
creates a closed image or are you just too damn lazy?

I guess if this were made into a decal to be added to the edges of a saucer
the gap may best be closed. I don't know how to do it in Photoshop. The reason
for the gap is that since the film disk is moving behind the sector shutter at
some time it either is overexposed if the disk is still while the lens cap
is removed starting the exposure or a dark segment appears if the lens cap is
removed and replaced while the film is in motion. The sector was cleaned up
(and thus the statement this had nothing to do with Photoshop is a lie!) in
Photoshop. The gap has ben significantly reduced in size by the installation of
an auto power cut off once the film disk has made on revolution and I am, in
fact, too lazy to figure out a way to eliminate it completely. I accept it as
an element of design. ;)

I wonder if it would be possible to mimic this kind of a result by starting with
what is called an "object panorama" and then distort in PS or another image
management program. There was (is) a Frenchman who wrote such a program I think.
To make conical lampshades from stitched together 360 degree panoramic photographs.
I just printed mine on translucent photo print material (forgot name) and cut out
one or two segments, joined ends and ended up with a neat-o lampshade.

andy