Re: NYU researchers create 'invisible flash;' takes photos without glare

Andy writes:

: Interesting but mixing up infrared, visible and uv is bound to lead to
unpredictable and
: uncorrectable color anomalies in certain if not all subjects. In my
opinion. But this may
: not matter to society at large. And if taking a photogrpah truly in
darkness lit up by the
: flash how is the camera going to record a visible record?? Mystery to me!
But people call
: me a naysayer quite often.

I'm with you on that.

I noted they say: "..created the camera in an attempt to do away with
blinding regular flashes and the "red eye" effect that usually accompanies
them." and presume this is their goal - and the included image of the
camera in use shows an off-camera flash.  As the off camera flash alone
does a pretty good job of eliminating red-eye, so I can't see the point.

Not sure about this 'blinding flash' part either.  Where did the idea that
photo flashes are blinding come from?  I mean really, one specular
reflection from ordinary sunlight has GOT to be heaps more powerful than
anything a photographer is ever likely to point at a person.  (I'm also
thinking of how pitifully low powered are flashes are for 'fill' on bright
sunny days)

IR flashes are old news.. so we've got that covered.

it's a cute idea to use both ends of the spectrum, but glass eats a fair
bit of UV, and that end also tends to be the noisy end, so I'd guess the UV
component wouldn't actually contribute a lot to the image.

For novelty value this is kind of a cute idea, but with UV and IR
photography both well established, i see no benefits

karl