Re: matte black vs. photo black

Lea Murphy wrote:
Can someone tell me why, in my Epson printers, the only ink I have to change when I change the finish of my media is my black?

Why don't I have to change all the others, too?

The sky doesn't fall if I print with matte ink on pearl paper so why do they say I'm supposed to?

Is this Ultrachrome K3? I don't have this with my R800, but that's the photo-pigment-but-not-really-pro-oriented inkset (and does gloss by having a separate cartridge for gloss overcoat; only printer I've seen that can make decent glossy prints, which are the only truly photographic-looking print; unfortunately it doesn't do B&W well.)

Generally, the problem is heavy pigment loads in dark areas floating on the surface of the paper, producing the "bronzing" effect in those areas. I'm sure the black is a heavy component of those areas, and I guess by using a special black for papers where that would show, they can work around the problem.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info