Re: A couple of thoughts on viewing a print in "proper" perspective - FYI

Yup ... from a given point of view the perspective of a given lens will not
change but different magnifications of the image recorded (on small or large
format) should alter the viewing distance. Viewing the enlarged prints from
the "incorrect" distance for perspective is what causes "strong" and "weak"
perspective. This is associated with wide angle and telephoto lenses which
are typically viewed at the incorrect distance. The wide angle photographs
from too far and the telephoto ones from too near.

andy

andy

Herschel wrote:
OK so it's all to do with magnification right? or no?
If so... again the 50mm lens's magnification is the same on any format.

What do you think. There must be something we're missing here.

A 5X7 crop pulled from a 20x30 print is the same thing as a 35mm crop from a 4x5 image of the same focal length

so again... why? A lens's perspective or magnification just doesn't change with image size.
Herschel

ADavidhazy wrote:

Good point. I think the difference is that the record made on the smaller format
is enlarged more to get to the same final print size than the one made from the
larger format record.

Another way to approach this it to agree that a 5x7 enlargement and a 20x30
enlargement should be viewed from different distances to be perceived the same
in terms of perspective. If we agree on this then if a 20x30 is cropped to 5x7
that portion of the 20x30 print should still be viewed from the same distance as
the uncropped version of the 20x30 print and not from the distance that the
5x7 print is viewed from.

No?
andy