Re: Point & shoot cameras

I have to agree with this even here in Northern Ohio, where the sunsets over Lake Erie are equally fantastic we have a lot of bright sunny days that make viewing the LCD on my camera very difficult to see..   And it doesn't have to be bright and sunny, bright and overcast makes viewing difficlt too.

Bob

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
A couple of points.  First when you say rare is the day the photographer is working in bright sunlight, it is apparent you don't live in the great state of Texas where sunsets are like no where else in the world.  No I don't live in the west Texas deserts, but bright sunshine on many days would make that LCD viewfinder almost as useless as a saddle on a boar hog no matter how you looked at it.  It is the overcast day that is rare here.

Further more if you are getting it for a teaching tool, you don't want that tool if there is any way possible to be weather dependent.   You have found a way to hold a camera with the LCD that works for you, but the same technique you described works just as well with an eye level viewfinder.

Kids can tear up an anvil.  They can often do it without trying to be destructive.  Any camera that will find its way into the hands of a kid will be subject to the ultimate test.  Keeping it cheap so they can be replaced is important.  You aren't going to prevent damage no matter how hard a teacher tries to keep it to a minimum.  Accept that now.

Now I agree a disposable might be cheap, but there is also little you can teach with them with no controls.  The point is to learn.  You want the most effective learning device possible within the budget.

--

                           /////
                          ( O O )